Pages Navigation Menu

J.B.F. Champlin & Electric Cutlery

Article by Derek Smith,

In the first half of his career as a traveling salesman, J.B.F. Champlin spent more than a dozen years selling razors, knives, shears and strops for Friedmann & Lauterjung who owned the “Electric Cutlery” trademark.  Since J.B.F. was always successful in his work, one could easily assume that he cheerfully touted the quality and value of Electric Cutlery products to potential clients on a daily basis as he peddled his wares from town to town.

trademark-21

 

Friedmann & Lauterjung was an importing company based in New York City.  They began using the “Electric Cutlery” trademark as early as 1873.

F-L-1868-invoice1

 

J. Christopher Friedmann and Charles R. Lauterjung operated the firm from 1864-1909. They also had and office in St. Louis, Missouri.st-louis2

(It is of interest to note that both of these bill heads state that the company manufactured as well as imported cutlery.  Current research has failed to reveal any F&L manufacturing facilities prior to their move to New Jersey in 1890).

 

Friedmann-Lauterjung-pearl

 

German importer George W. Korn told the Senate Sub Committee on Tariff in 1888 that Friedman & Lauterjung dealt in high grade cutlery while many others imported inexpensive goods of lesser quality.   He also went on to explain that US merchants wanted names on their goods that were familiar sounding and easy to pronounce.  Merchants did not care for foreign names that were difficult to spell and remember.

Friedmann-n-Lauterjung-button-hook

FL-Whittler

With this understanding of their US market, Christopher Friedmann and Charles Lauterjung could not have picked a better name than the trademark they selected.

“The Electric Cutlery Company” was certainly a name easy for the American people to remember and pronounce.  Plus, the terms “electric” and “electricity” were no doubt very modern sounding buzzwords of that day and age that carried their own level of interest and implied quality.

In 1890 the company set up manufacturing in earnest when they moved from New York City to Newark, New Jersey.  The company letterhead of that period displays an impressive illustration of the factory along with the bold claim “The Best Equipped Cutlery Works in the World”.

electric-factory-21

2-knives1

Electric-etch_1

Electric_Stamp_1

 

According to Goins, James E. Fuller (President of the Newark company) along with his brother Clifford (Treasurer) purchased the “New York Knife Company” of Walden, New York in 1903.  They operated both firms until 1910 when the Newark operation was closed.

Electric knives marked “Walden” were produced in the New York Knife Company plant as a second line to their now famous “Hammer Brand” Knives.  The Electric trademark was used until about 1920.

 

Electric brand pen knife with waterfall celluloid made in Walden, NY.

Electric brand pen knife with waterfall celluloid made in Walden, NY.

 

 

Electric brand pen knife with waterfall celluloid made in Walden, NY.

Electric brand pen knife with waterfall celluloid made in Walden, NY.

 

 

More Historical Notes and questions.

This 1881 Friedmann & Lauterjung invoice pictured below presents us with a bit of a puzzle.  It lists a Mr. “A. J. Jordan” as the “Sole Agent” for the company.  What about J.B.F.? Had he left the company prior this time?  Did he work under A.J. Jordan?

Since this invoice is marked “St. Louis, Mo.” and was made out to a customer in Red Bud, Illinois, The theory that makes the most sense is that A.J. Jordan was the salesman for the St. Louis office and J.B.F. the salesman for the New York office.  It would certainly be nice to have more evidence to support this idea.

st-louis2

On March 27, 1883 The Olean Democrat, of Olean, NY, makes a short mention of J.B.F. and F&L in the “Little Valley” section of the newspaper, this gives us a little more information, and I quote:

“J.B.F. Champlin of this village, formerly traveling salesman for Friedmann & Lauterjung, of New York, has recently gone into business for himself.  He is having manufactured under a brand of his own design, a very fine line of cutlery goods, etc, which he is introducing among his old customers,… “

We also know that J.B.F. started construction on his “Opera House” in 1879.  Cattaraugus Bill heads from that period state that he established his business in Little Valley in 1880. Perhaps he left F&L when he started on the Opera house, or when it was completed.

Established-1880

Other authors have suggested that J.B.F. left F&L in 1882, at the same time he made his pocketknives marked “Galvanic 1882″.  This would have been about the same time that his 15 year old son Tint Champlin came to work full time and the name of the family jobbing firm was expanded to “J.B.F Champlin & Son”.  This certainly would have been a year of many changes.

In summary, this author’s research is still uncertain regarding the exact dates and the sequence of events regarding J.B.F’s association with Friedmann & Lauterjung. There remain a number of unanswered questions.

In closing we offer this desperate plea to collectors,…  If you or anyone you know has Friedmann & Lauterjung paper with JBF Champlin’s name on it, we would really love to see it!!   This also applies to any old paper marked JBF Champlin or JBF Champlin & Son.

Thanks for stopping by.

Copyright © Derek Smith 2013, all rights reserved.

 

The tang on this little knife is not marked Walden or New Jersey and may have been made before 1890.

The tang on this little knife simply says “Electric” and is not marked Walden or Newark, plus the etch on the blade depicts the older style logo. It would be easy to assume that this knife was imported and that it was made before 1890.

 

The tang on this little ecthed knife simply says "Electric" and is not marked Walden or Newark. It may have been made before 1890.

The tang on this little etched knife simply says “Electric” and is not marked Walden or Newark. It was most likely made before 1890 and may have been imported.